Sunday 5 October 2014

Tales of the City - Part Four - GLASGOW - Father, Son and a visit to Starbucks


It was a wonderful start to Sunday morning. I was "full" after having a cooked breakfast and toast washed down with a large amount of fresh orange juice. I mused and wondered what to do with my free time. I was not needed again till 3.00 pm and It was just a little after 9.00 in the morning. I was gently asking myself the question "Do I attend a place of worship this morning?" I decided that sitting listening to a 45 minute monologue was not going to be my preference.

So, I took book in hand, (A copy of "Pagan Christianity") and headed to the only place that I wanted to go in this blessed of all Scottish cities. STAR-BUCKS! I arrived and duly picked a seat that was set away from everyone else, tucked just around a corner, so that the people queuing could not see me but I could see them. I soon settled into a rhythm of turning pages and slurping coffee. (A Vente Latte) MMMMMmmmmmmmmm....

After a short while a very tall man and his young son joined the queue. The man would have been in his lat 40's and the son about 2 or 3 years old. They could not see me either, but I could see them. The son was all of the time looking up intently at his dad with big saucer shaped eyes, taking in all that he was doing and saying. Then It came the turn of the tall man to order his drinks, he was very well spoken and articulated all of his words with great hand gestures, point to the board and ordering 2 latte's 2 fresh cranberry juices and some sticky buns. All of the time the little boy was looking up to his dad and taking it all in. Still, they could not see me. When the man looked away to pay, the little boy began to mimic all the big hand gestures that his dad had done, (And he did it in style) even his lips were moving, as he too ordered from an imaginary counter assistant.

As I sat there looking at this scene and contemplating it, my mind filled with the words of Jesus from the new testament "I am doing only what I have seen my father doing". There....... right there..... was the sermon for that Sunday morning.......in Starbucks no less.

Prayer:
Lord help your people to follow your lead, to take your example, to mimic your actions, language, custom, gestures and by so doing usher in the kingdom of God, in power, hospitality and welcome. Amen