Sunday 5 October 2014

Tales of the City Part Two - GLASGOW - Painted Ladies



Some, say "It's not art",
Some, say " It's common"
Some, say "You've got to be out of your mind to have it done"

Other's, say "It's part of my culture"
Other's, say "It's part of my tradition"
Other's say "It's part of being me"

It's Maori, Native Indian, Aboriginal,
It's belonging, It's identity, It's a statement,
It's resistance,
It's a declaration of independence.

I saw lots of it today, and for me, it's an art form, more profound the Garivagio, more stylish that Van Gough.

I saw it on the skin of those painted ladies, in a Glasgow tattoo parlour.

It said in pictures, that which others crave, it said "I'm free", "I belong" it was in the eyes and on the skin of those Glasgow painted ladies.

I visited a glasgow tattoo shop in February 2009 and on the front desk were three women who were painted from head to foot in tattoos, they were amazing, friendly, welcoming and kind.