Monday 10 January 2011

DAY 2: Fires, Fires, Fires............


I could have wept today as I had a tour round the towns and regions where the Australian bush fires that devastated a whole land mass. With catastrophic loss of lives and homes, whole towns and neighbourhoods gone with people being given no or little notice. Some townspeople especially of Marysville and the like hearing the news of the bush fires as the flames were licking at there backyard. I got to see the rebuilding of towns and communities, at a very slow pace. he fires showed no mercy and took no prisoners 100 people losing there lives and 160+ houses destroyed by the relentless flames. Once Peaceful townspeople and communities still trying to come to terms with what they have lost. These people living now on the margins as displaced people in mobile temporary accommodation. Doc took me to Speke with someone who lost there livelihood in a matter of hours, and the flames that burned to many days. A livelihood as trout farmers that will take more than five years to rebuild. It is one thing to see these things on the news in the UK, it's another thing to meet people and see what the flames left in there wake.  The weather is humid, in the 20's with occasional downpours and sun shine. I've had great hospitality shown to me by Doc and now by Peter and Ruth who I'm staying with. in the next few days in going to meet "Concern Australia" and some of the projects like "Handbrake turn" which is a pre apprenticeship project for young people with difficult backgrounds. I'm also going to spend time with John Smith and his wife Glena, I'm riding a John's dresser Harley on a ride out in the morning. Next week I'm going to attempt with others a 7 hour ride from Melbourne to Canberra to see some other work there. I'm preaching at St Martins Collingwood on Sunday morning and St Martins Lillydale in the evening. I,ll speak more about the schedule when I next blog as I'm suffering from Jetlag. God bless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment